|Akshata Murthy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Year of Birth||1980|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Akshata Murthy is an Indian fashion designer, entrepreneur, and businessperson who has owned, since 2015, a 0.93% stake in the Indian multinational IT company Infosys which was founded by her father N. R. Narayana Murthy in July 1981. Her wealth and her status as a non-domiciled UK resident (which temporarily entitles her to pay no tax on her income outside Britain, subject to an annual payment of £30,000) with Indian citizenship became the topic of much debate and speculation in the British media in 2022. This was because she was married to British politician Rishi Sunak who was serving as the chancellor of the exchequer of the United Kingdom at that time and the country was going through a ‘cost of living’ crisis. Another factor in this discussion was the fact that she was wealthier than Queen Elizabeth II and was not paying tax in the UK on her unremitted income from Infosys dividends.
Akshata Murthy was born in the year 1980.
Hubli, Karnataka, India
London, England, United Kingdom
Akshata studied economics and French at Claremont McKenna College, a private liberal arts college in Claremont, California. She then attained a diploma in clothes manufacturing from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, a private for-profit college with multiple campuses in California. Thereafter, she joined Stanford University, a private research university in Stanford, California. She had graduated from there with an MBA degree.
Fashion Designer, Entrepreneur, Businessperson
- Father – N. R. Narayana Murthy (Founder of Infosys, Former Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, President, and Chief Mentor of Infosys, Padma Vibhushan Awardee)
- Mother – Sudha Murty (née Kulkarni) (Businesswoman, Educator, Author, Philanthropist, Chairperson of the Infosys Foundation, Padma Shri Awardee)
- Siblings – Rohan Murty (Younger Brother) (Founder of the Murty Classical Library of India, Former Executive Assistant at the Chairman’s Office at Infosys)
- Others – Lakshmi Venu (Ex-Sister-in-Law) (Business Executive, Joint Managing Director of Sundaram Clayton, an Aluminium and Magnesium Castings Manufacturer for the Automotive Industry), Aparna Krishnan (Sister-in-Law), Shrinivas Kulkarni (Maternal Uncle) (Astrophysicist), R.H. Kulkarni (Maternal Grandfather) (Surgeon), Vimala Kulkarni (Maternal Grandmother), Padavathamma Murthy (Paternal Grandmother), N. Rama Rao (Paternal Grandfather), Yashvir Sunak (Father-in-Law) (General Practitioner), Usha Sunak (Mother-in-Law) (Pharmacist), Sanjay Sunak (Brother-in-Law) (Psychologist), Raakhi Sunak (Sister-in-Law) (Head of Humanitarian, Peacebuilding, UN Funds & Programmes at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, a Department of the Government of the United Kingdom)
In May 2022, Akshata Murthy and her husband Rishi Sunak’s combined net worth was $911 million according to The Sunday Times’ ‘UK Rich List’.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Akshata has dated –
- Rishi Sunak (2009-Present) – Akshata got married to British politician Rishi Sunak (serving as Chancellor of the Exchequer (as of May 2022) since 2020) in August 2009 in a ceremony held in Bangalore, India. They had first met while they were both students at Stanford University. They have 2 daughters together named Krishna Sunak and Anoushka Sunak.
Race / Ethnicity
- Slender frame
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
Akshata Murthy Facts
- Akshata was primarily raised by her paternal grandparents as both her parents were deeply involved in looking after the IT company Infosys in its early years. When she was about 2 years old, her parents moved her to Mumbai.
- In 2007, she joined the Dutch cleantech firm Tendris as its marketing director. She left the role about 2 years later to start her fashion firm.
- In 2013, she co-founded the Indian venture capital fund Catamaran Ventures with her husband Rishi Sunak. She had served as a director at the firm.
- She has held shares in some of the British chef Jamie Oliver’s restaurant businesses, a nanny agency called Koro Kids, and a gym operator called Digme Fitness.
Featured Image by Akshata Murthy / Instagram