|Rinko Kikuchi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 6, 1981|
Rinko Kikuchi is a Japanese actor, voice actor, director, and writer who became the first Japanese female actor to be nominated for an Academy Award in 50 years, for her work in Babel (2006). Over the years, she has also been cast in other movies and shows like Norwegian Wood, The Brothers Bloom, Mike Yokohama: A Forest with No Name, The Taste of Tea, Funky Forest: The First Contact, Arch Angels, Zukan ni Nottenai Mushi, The Sky Crawlers, Umi de no hanashi, Liar Game 2, Map of the Sounds of Tokyo, Westworld, Assault Girls, Shanghai, At River’s Edge, Pacific Rim, Invasion, 47 Ronin, Nobody Wants the Night, To Give a Dream, Pacific Rim: Uprising, We Are Little Zombies, Chou no Rikigaku, Terra Formars, Gu-Gu Datte Neko de Aru, and Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter.
Hadano, Kanagawa, Japan
Actor, Voice Actor, Director, Writer
- Siblings – She has 2 older siblings.
Rinko Kikuchi has been signed with –
- Untitled Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Imprint PR, Public Relations Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth had been $10 Million.
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rinko Kikuchi has dated –
- Spike Jonze – She met American actor, filmmaker, musician, and photographer Spike Jonze in the year 2009 and the duo eventually started dating. They were together for around 2 years and also briefly lived together in New York.
- Shōta Sometani (2012-Present) – In 2012, she began going out with actor Shota Sometani and they got married on December 31, 2014. They welcomed their first child in October 2016 and their 2nd child was born in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Rinko Kikuchi is of Japanese descent.
- Prominent cheekbones
- Forehead bangs
- Pierced ears
Rinko Kikuchi has been cast in commercials for –
- Fujitsu (alongside Takuya Kimura)
- Mazda Demio (2007)
Rinko Kikuchi Facts
- She was 15 years old when she was discovered by a talent agent on the street.
- Alongside Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael García Bernal, Kōji Yakusho, and Adriana Barraza, Rinko Kikuchi co-starred as Chieko Wataya, a rebellious teenage girl who is profoundly deaf and non-verbal, in the 2006 psychological drama film Babel.
- For her performance in Babel, she won several accolades including Chicago Film Critics Association Award for “Best Supporting Actress” and Gotham Award for “Breakthrough Actor” as well as was nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role”, Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role”, and Golden Globe Award for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture”.
- In 2007, Rinko Kikuchi was named one of the “Ten Actors to Watch” by Variety Magazine.
- She brought to life the character of Naoko in the 2010 romantic drama film Norwegian Wood, based on Haruki Murakami’s novel of the same name. This role got her nominated for an Asian Film Award in the “Best Actress” category.
- She co-starred as Mako Mori, Raleigh’s co-pilot who lost her family in a Kaiju attack, in the 2013 American science fiction monster film Pacific Rim directed by Guillermo del Toro.
- She is skilled in sword-fighting and horseback riding.
- Rinko Kikuchi played the titular role in the 2014 American drama film Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter, based on the urban legend surrounding Japanese office worker Takako Konishi.
Featured Image by Queryzo / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0